Friday, October 23, 2009

Scrapbook Saturday


Scrapbooking, Notebooking, Lapbooking

Scrapbooking is a great way for kids to keep track of what they have been doing. My daughter and I started scrapbooking when she was about 11. She saved little ticket stubs and party favors to put in her book. It gave Lindsey something to create and keep for her own. Scrapbooking kept her busy when she wanted something to do. Lindsey was my active child who needed directed activities.

Later, I learned how much this design, writing, and art was teaching her organizational skills and critical thinking.

When I heard about notebooking and lapbooking then I incorporated these ideas in presenting my end of the year homeschool portfolios. Portfolios are not the only choice of reporting in our state but I loved the idea of this way of keeping my child's work organized. And my child gets to help design and create the book.

Record keeping can be overwhelming if left until the end of the year. The kids and I can scrapbook regularly during the year and keep up with their portfolio.
So now I teach with record keeping in mind.

When the kids were younger I would get to the end of the year and think "what do I have to show that we did in this subject?" Since learning in homeschool is a way of life and not just something you do from 8am - 3pm then this could be hard to record. Taking pictures helps.

Now (after 14 years of schooling, I am starting to get the hang of it) I plan all year for a nice portfolio. No more scrambling at the last minute It gives my child a chance to see what they have done all year and present it in a organized manner to show to grandparents and other interested people. They learn to show their best work and not keep every single paper. It gives them a feeling of accomplishment and reward for all their effort.

For more information on parenting active children Nourish Your Children

No comments:

Post a Comment